Thursday, September 17, 2009

When my obsession began...



At Borders last year, on a rare Mom's day out (I homeschool my two children so alone time doesn't happen very often), I saw some women wearing Twilight T-shirts.  I vaguely recalled it being opening day for the movie and wondered what the hype was all about.  I went back to my reading and journaling with a smirk on my face.  Silly women!

Famous last words.... 

Fast forward to July of this year.  I was visiting my sister in Indiana and we got to talking about movies.  We always end up talking about scary movies:  she watches them, I do not.  So, I let her tell me about the ones I know I won't see but am curious about the plot and endings.  I'm attracted to horror films but then have to sleep with all the lights on, which doesn't make my sweet hubby too happy so I steer clear of them.

She asked if I had seen Twilight yet.  (She had asked me once before and my answer was the same:  "Oh, no."  I thought it was scary.)  She promptly informed it was not and insisted I had, HAD, to see the movie.  I just laughed and said, "Okay.  I'll check it out."


But I forgot about it and didn't think anymore of it until Michael and I had a date night the next week.  I picked up a copy of the book at Borders and figured I'd read a few pages.  An hour later I had read the first two chapters and announced in a desperate voice, "We have to rent this movie TONIGHT!"  So we did!

And let me just say...ahem...the night ended quite well.  Thank you Stephenie, Catherine, Kristen and Rob.  Oh, and you too, honey.  

Obviously, the book was better than the movie.  And there were a lot of scenes that didn't happen exactly as portrayed in the book, but it fulfilled my need to "see" Edward.  I cannot imagine a better actor playing him than Rob Pattinson.  Can I get a "heck, yeah"?!  (Why "heck"?  Because that's the extent of my cursing...for the most part...unless I hurt myself or get really ticked off or ....)

While I wish the meadow scene was more like Stephenie had written it, especially when they kiss for the first time, the scene in Bella's room did not disappoint.  One word:  STEAMY!! 


Kudos to Catherine for directing it, and Rob and Kristen for making it believable.


After watching the movie, I decided I had to finish the book.  The next day, Friday, I ran out to my local resale book shop and bought Twilight and New Moon.  By Monday, I was in search of Eclipse and the next day my sweet hubby managed to find the only copy of Breaking Dawn available at Half Price Books in the whole city.  I've trained him well.

I basically read each book in 24 hours, give or take a few.  It took me longer to finish Breaking Dawn only because our best friends were down to visit for the first time ever in the great state of Texas and it wouldn't be right to ignore them.  Plus they wouldn't understand my obsession.  It still was less than two days total.  I read the entire saga in one week!  That's impressive considering how many pages are in each book and how busy life is for me.


I'm sure some of you read it faster.  To you I say:  phbbbffft!!


I've since read the entire saga, again, though I gave myself longer.  This time it took two - three weeks.  Only because I made myself slow down and savor them.  When I read New Moon again and got to the part where Edward leaves Bella, I was in tears as if it was the first time.  My husband laughed at me and said, "It's just a book."  How dare he!  It's a good thing I was feeling weepy and not homicidal.

Actually, he's been indulging my obsession quite a bit.  He bought me the movie on Blu-Ray, the soundtrack and the score, a poster, the Twilight movie companion, bookmarks and the New Moon calendar.  He's listened to me tell him about the books over and over, more than he's probably ever wanted to know and even watched the movie with me a few times.  He's put up with all of my swooning and drooling and carrying on about Rob/Edward. He has even agreed to spend a date night out watching New Moon with me.  Michael really is a great husband!

I am a hopeless romantic and these books and movies speak right to my soul so this gets me in the mood quite often.  My sweet hubby's getting a lot of mileage out of it...if you know what I mean.

No comments: